It’s springtime in Australia, and now is a great time to do essential maintenance on your kitchen appliances as part of your spring cleaning. While you might assume appliance maintenance can be put off until another day, the benefits far outweigh the effort, and they almost always involve saving you money. Here are just a few reasons regular maintenance and replacing minor parts in your kitchen appliances will save you money:
- Reduce energy bills when your appliances are running efficiently
- Prevent large costly repairs by regularly replacing small low cost parts
- Increase the lifespan of your appliances and delay how often you need to replace them, saving you time and money
Tips for maintaining your kitchen appliances
To maintain your kitchen appliances, you don’t have to be a professional handyman. It’s easy, and if you learn to do it yourself, it’s a skill that will continue to save you money every year. Before doing any work on your appliances, ensure you have disconnected the power and turned off the water.
To help you identify which parts to replace regularly, we have put together this easy-to-follow guide:
Fridge door seal - the door seal to your fridge, plays an essential role and is a low-cost part you can replace that will extend its life and improve efficiency. However, if the seal is damaged and isn’t creating an airproof seal, it can cause the temperature inside your fridge to fluctuate, which can have a dangerous impact on your food.
Fridge coil - You should also check whether the coil is one of your fridge parts that needs replacing. The coil is at the rear or bottom of the refrigerator, and while they are relatively cheap to replace compared to purchasing a new appliance, they are crucial to the performance of your fridge. The coil’s function is to condense warm air and lower the temperature by circulating coolant, essentially keeping your fridge cold.
Benefits of replacing a damaged seal or coil in your fridge:
- Ensure consistent temperature in your fridge
- Reduce energy costs by running more efficiently
- Running more efficiently will also extend the life of your fridge
Oven door seal – The door seal on your oven is like the door seal on your fridge; if it’s not creating an effective seal, your appliance isn’t working efficiently. A gap in the seal can cause hot air to escape the oven cavity resulting in wasted energy and unpredictable cooking times.
Benefits of replacing oven door seal:
- Avoid undercooked and unevenly cooked food
- Reduce energy bills
- Avoid risk of gas leaking out of the oven and into your home
Oven globe - this is such as easy task, but many put it in the too-hard basket or call someone to replace the globe for them, spending money on a job you can easily do yourself.
Benefits of replacing oven globe:
- Reduce the number of times you open the oven door to check your food – which reduces hot air escaping and increasing your energy bill
Dishwasher door seals – once again, the door seals have a crucial impact on the performance of this appliance. In the case of your dishwasher, you will quickly become aware if this is one of the dishwasher parts that needs replacing as it can cause water to leak onto your kitchen floor.
Benefits of replacing dishwasher door seal:
- Avoid water leaking from your dishwasher
- Prevent steam leaking from your dishwasher, which can warp or crack your surrounding countertops or breed mould and mildew inside your cupboards
Dishwasher filter – a damaged filter in your dishwasher can cause poor performance in your appliance. While regular cleaning is beneficial, sometimes the filter needs replacing due to heavy wear and tear or if a broken dish or unsecured utensil ends up in the wrong place.
Benefits of replacing dishwasher filter:
- Avoid your dishwasher and dishes smelling bad
- Improved performance - prevents grimy dishes and glassware
Need advice on the best replacement parts?
Here at Wayne’s Wholesale Spares, we stock a massive range of branded and generic parts for all your kitchen appliances. For more information on maintaining and repairing your appliances check out the appliance tips on our website. For friendly expert advice on all your kitchen appliance maintenance and spare parts needs, get in contact – we’re here to help.